Paella is a Spanish dish that is traditionally made with meat and seafood. However, as the vegan movement grows, it’s important to have plant-based alternatives to classic dishes. This vegan paella recipe is not only delicious, but it’s also easy to make and perfect for a weeknight dinner or a special occasion. In this article, we’ll provide you with everything you need to know to make the best vegan paella.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Recipe Category: Main Dish
- Recipe Cuisine: Spanish
- Aggregate Rating: 4.8/5
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup sliced green olives
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the red and yellow bell peppers and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the rice and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the vegetable broth, diced tomatoes, smoked paprika, oregano, salt, and black pepper. Stir to combine.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and cover the skillet. Simmer for 25-30 minutes, or until the rice is tender and the liquid has been absorbed.
- Stir in the frozen peas and sliced olives. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Serve hot, with lemon wedges on the side.
|Nutrition Information||Amount Per Serving|
- Can I use brown rice instead of arborio rice?
Yes, you can use brown rice, but you’ll need to adjust the cooking time and add more liquid.
- Can I use fresh tomatoes instead of canned?
Yes, you can use fresh tomatoes, but you’ll need to peel and chop them first.
- Can I add other vegetables?
Yes, you can add other vegetables like zucchini, mushrooms, or artichokes.
- Can I make this recipe ahead of time?
Yes, you can make this recipe ahead of time and reheat it before serving.
- Can I freeze the leftovers?
Yes, you can freeze the leftovers for up to 3 months.
- What can I serve with vegan paella?
You can serve vegan paella with a side salad, garlic bread, or roasted vegetables.
If you want to add more flavor to your vegan paella, you can use saffron instead of smoked paprika. Saffron is a traditional paella ingredient and gives the dish a unique flavor and color. Another tip is to use homemade vegetable broth instead of store-bought. Homemade vegetable broth is healthier and has more flavor. Finally, make sure to use a large skillet or paella pan to cook the dish. This will ensure that the rice cooks evenly and absorbs all the flavors.
In conclusion, vegan paella is a delicious and healthy alternative to traditional paella. With this recipe, you’ll be able to impress your friends and family with your cooking skills, while also contributing to a better world. We hope you enjoy making and eating this vegan paella recipe!