As a professional cook, I always try to find the best recipes that my customers will love. One of my favorite recipes is the Southern Chili Recipe. It is a perfect combination of spicy, savory, and sweet flavors that everyone will surely enjoy. That’s why I am excited to share this recipe with you, so you can also experience the goodness of this Southern classic.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour and 30 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour and 45 minutes
- Recipe Category: Main Dish
- Recipe Cuisine: Southern
- Aggregate Rating: 4.8
- 2 lbs. ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (15 oz) kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
- 1 can (6 oz) tomato paste
- 2 tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 2 cups water
- In a large saucepan, cook the ground beef over medium heat until browned. Drain any excess fat.
- Add the onion and garlic, and cook until softened.
- Add the kidney beans, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, chili powder, cumin, salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and water. Stir well.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and let it stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve with your favorite toppings, such as shredded cheese, sour cream, and chopped cilantro.
|Nutrition Information||Amount Per Serving|
- Q: Can I use ground turkey instead of ground beef?
A: Yes, you can substitute ground turkey for ground beef if you prefer a leaner meat.
- Q: Can I make this recipe in a slow cooker?
A: Yes, you can cook this recipe in a slow cooker on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
- Q: Can I freeze this recipe?
A: Yes, you can freeze this recipe for up to 3 months. Just make sure to store it in an airtight container.
- Q: Can I use other beans instead of kidney beans?
A: Yes, you can use other beans such as black beans or pinto beans if you prefer.
- Q: Is this recipe spicy?
A: This recipe has a mild level of spiciness, but you can adjust the amount of cayenne pepper to make it more or less spicy according to your preference.
- Q: What toppings can I add to this recipe?
A: You can add your favorite toppings such as shredded cheese, sour cream, chopped cilantro, diced avocado, or sliced jalapenos.
If you want to add more depth of flavor to this chili recipe, you can use a combination of ground beef and ground pork. You can also add a tablespoon of cocoa powder to the mixture to enhance the richness of the sauce.
Another tip is to let the chili simmer for longer to allow the flavors to meld together. You can also make this recipe ahead of time and reheat it on the stovetop or in the microwave for a quick and easy meal.
Lastly, you can adjust the level of spiciness by adding more or less cayenne pepper, or by using a milder chili powder. You can also serve this chili with cornbread or crackers for a satisfying meal.