As a food lover and a professional writer, I always try new recipes and share them with others. I recently tasted Empanadas Colombianas and fell in love with them. I decided to make this article to share my recipe with you all.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Recipe Category: Appetizer
- Recipe Cuisine: Colombian
- Aggregate Rating: 4.8/5
- 2 cups of precooked yellow cornmeal
- 2 cups of water
- 1 pound of ground beef
- 1 diced onion
- 1 diced tomato
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons of cumin
- 2 tablespoons of salt
- 1 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 cup of vegetable oil for frying
- Heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a pan over medium heat. Add diced onion and tomato and cook until soft.
- Add 1 pound of ground beef to the pan and cook until brown.
- Add 2 tablespoons of cumin, 2 tablespoons of salt, and 1 teaspoon of black pepper. Mix well and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine 2 cups of precooked yellow cornmeal, 2 cups of water, and 1 beaten egg. Mix until it forms a dough.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal parts and roll them into balls.
- Place each ball between two pieces of plastic wrap and flatten them with a rolling pin to form a circle.
- Place a spoonful of the beef mixture in the center of each circle.
- Fold the circle in half and seal the edges with your fingers.
- Heat 1 cup of vegetable oil in a deep frying pan over medium heat. Fry the empanadas until golden brown on both sides.
- Remove the empanadas from the pan and place them on a paper towel to absorb the excess oil.
- Serve hot with your favorite dipping sauce.
|Nutrition Information||Amount per serving|
- What is Empanadas Colombianas?
Empanadas Colombianas are fried pastries filled with beef, potatoes, and spices.
- Can I use chicken instead of beef?
Yes, you can use chicken or any other meat of your choice.
- What dipping sauce goes well with Empanadas Colombianas?
Traditionally, Aji sauce is served with Empanadas Colombianas. However, you can also use any other dipping sauce of your choice.
- Can I bake Empanadas Colombianas instead of frying them?
Yes, you can bake them in the oven at 375°F for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Can I freeze Empanadas Colombianas?
Yes, you can freeze them after frying or before frying. To reheat, bake them in the oven at 375°F for 10-15 minutes or until heated through.
- How long can I keep Empanadas Colombianas in the refrigerator?
You can keep them in the refrigerator for up to 3 days in an airtight container.
If you want to make the perfect Empanadas Colombianas, here are some tips:
1. Use precooked yellow cornmeal: Precooked yellow cornmeal is the traditional ingredient used in Empanadas Colombianas. It gives them a unique texture and flavor.
2. Don’t overfill the empanadas: Make sure to add just enough filling to the center of each empanada. Overfilling can cause the empanadas to burst during frying.
3. Seal the edges well: Use your fingers to press the edges of the empanadas together tightly. This will prevent the filling from leaking out during frying.