If you’re a fan of Noodles and Company, then you’ve probably tried their Penne Rosa dish. This creamy and spicy pasta dish is a favorite among many, and it’s easy to see why. However, if you’re not lucky enough to have a Noodles and Company near you, or if you just want to try making this dish at home, you’re in luck. This recipe is easy to follow and will result in a delicious Penne Rosa dish that you can enjoy any time.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Recipe Category: Pasta
- Recipe Cuisine: Italian
- Aggregate Rating: 5 stars
- 1 pound penne pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the penne pasta and cook according to package instructions until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- In a large pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the minced garlic and red pepper flakes and cook for another 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Add the crushed tomatoes to the pan and bring to a simmer. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the heavy cream and Parmesan cheese. Cook for another 5 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened slightly.
- Season the sauce with salt and pepper to taste. Add the cooked penne pasta to the pan and toss to coat in the sauce.
- Serve hot, garnished with additional Parmesan cheese and red pepper flakes if desired.
|Nutrient||Amount per Serving|
- Can I use a different type of pasta? Yes, you can use any type of pasta you like. Just be sure to adjust the cooking time accordingly.
- Can I use fresh tomatoes instead of canned? Yes, you can use fresh tomatoes if you prefer. Just make sure to peel and chop them before adding them to the pan.
- Can I make this dish ahead of time? Yes, you can make the sauce ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. When you’re ready to serve, just reheat the sauce and toss it with freshly cooked pasta.
- Can I make this dish vegetarian? Yes, you can omit the Parmesan cheese or use a vegetarian substitute to make this dish vegetarian.
- Can I make this dish spicy? Yes, you can adjust the amount of red pepper flakes to make this dish as spicy as you like.
- Can I freeze this dish? It’s not recommended to freeze this dish, as the texture of the sauce may change when thawed.
If you want to make this dish even creamier, you can add an extra 1/2 cup of heavy cream. Just be aware that this will increase the calorie count and fat content of the dish.
If you’re not a fan of spicy food, you can omit the red pepper flakes or reduce the amount to make the dish less spicy.
For a healthier version of this dish, you can use whole wheat pasta and reduce the amount of heavy cream or use a lighter substitute like half-and-half.