As a professional writer, I know the importance of having a go-to recipe for a classic dish that can be enjoyed on any occasion. That’s why I want to share with you the best Dal Recipe Masoor that I have tried and tested over the years. This dish is not only delicious and nutritious, but it is also easy to make and perfect for anyone who wants to add some variety to their meals.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Recipe Category: Main Dish
- Recipe Cuisine: Indian
- Aggregate Rating: 4.8/5
- 1 cup masoor dal (red lentils), rinsed and drained
- 3 cups water
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-inch ginger, grated
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp cilantro leaves, chopped
- In a pressure cooker or a pot, add rinsed dal and water. Close the lid and cook for 6-7 whistles or until the dal is soft and cooked.
- In a separate pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, and ginger. Saute for 2-3 minutes until the onion turns translucent.
- Add chopped tomatoes, turmeric powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, and salt. Cook for 5-7 minutes until the tomatoes become mushy and the oil separates from the mixture.
- Add the cooked dal to the tomato mixture and stir well. Add garam masala powder and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro leaves and serve hot with rice or bread.
|Nutrient||Amount per Serving|
- Can I use other types of lentils?
Yes, you can use other types of lentils such as moong dal or chana dal, but the cooking time may vary.
- Can I skip the pressure cooker?
Yes, you can cook the dal in a regular pot, but it may take longer to cook.
- Can I make this dish ahead of time?
Yes, you can make this dish ahead of time and reheat it before serving.
- Is this dish vegan?
Yes, this dish is vegan.
- Can I freeze this dish?
Yes, you can freeze this dish for up to 3 months in an airtight container.
- What can I serve with this dish?
You can serve this dish with rice, bread, or naan.
If you want to add some extra flavor to this dish, you can try adding some chopped green chilies or a pinch of asafetida. You can also adjust the spices according to your taste. For a creamier texture, you can add some coconut milk or cream. To save time, you can use canned tomatoes instead of fresh ones. This dish is perfect for meal prep and can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Overall, this Dal Recipe Masoor is a must-try for anyone who loves Indian cuisine or wants to try something new. It is flavorful, healthy, and easy to make, making it a great option for busy weeknights or lazy weekends. Give it a try and let us know what you think!