Are you a fan of Chick Fil A’s famous chicken nuggets? Did you know that you can make them at home with just a few simple ingredients? In this article, we’ll walk you through the steps to make your own delicious and crispy chicken nuggets that taste just like the real thing.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Recipe Category: Appetizer
- Recipe Cuisine: American
- Aggregate Rating: 4.8/5
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup dill pickle juice
- 1 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Canola or peanut oil, for frying
- Cut the chicken breasts into bite-sized pieces and place them in a large bowl or resealable plastic bag.
- Pour the pickle juice over the chicken, making sure each piece is fully coated. Cover the bowl or seal the bag and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, or up to 24 hours.
- In a shallow dish, whisk together the milk and egg.
- In another shallow dish, combine the flour, powdered sugar, salt, paprika, black pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder.
- Remove the chicken from the pickle juice and pat it dry with paper towels.
- Dip each piece of chicken into the milk and egg mixture, then coat it in the seasoned flour, shaking off any excess.
- Heat about 1 1/2 inches of oil in a large skillet or Dutch oven to 350°F. Fry the chicken in batches, turning occasionally, until golden brown and cooked through, about 3-4 minutes per side.
- Transfer the chicken to a wire rack set over a baking sheet to drain any excess oil. Serve hot with your favorite dipping sauce.
|Nutrient||Amount per serving|
- Can I use chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts?
- Can I use a different type of pickle juice?
- Can I make these nuggets ahead of time?
- Can I freeze these nuggets?
- What dipping sauces go well with these nuggets?
- Can I make these nuggets gluten-free?
Yes, you can use boneless, skinless chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts. Just make sure to adjust the cooking time accordingly, as thighs may take longer to cook through.
Yes, you can use any type of pickle juice you like. If you prefer a sweeter flavor, you can try using bread and butter pickle juice instead.
Yes, you can make the chicken nuggets ahead of time and reheat them in the oven or air fryer. Just be aware that they may not be as crispy as when they’re freshly fried.
Yes, you can freeze the uncooked chicken nuggets for up to 3 months. To cook them from frozen, simply fry them for a few extra minutes until they’re golden brown and cooked through.
Chick Fil A’s signature sauces, such as Polynesian sauce and Chick Fil A sauce, are great choices. You can also try ketchup, honey mustard, or barbecue sauce.
Yes, you can use gluten-free flour and breadcrumbs to make these nuggets gluten-free. Just be sure to check that all of your ingredients are certified gluten-free.
If you want your chicken nuggets to be extra crispy, try double-coating them in the flour mixture. Simply dip them in the egg and milk mixture, coat them in flour, then dip them back into the egg and milk mixture before coating them in flour again.
For best results, use a neutral-tasting oil such as canola or peanut oil for frying. These oils have a high smoke point, which means they can be heated to high temperatures without burning.
If you’re short on time, you can skip the pickle juice marinade step and simply season the chicken with salt and pepper before dipping it in the egg and milk mixture.